The View from Saturday

A heart full of love and a bookshelf full of hope and some books.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

November Resolutions.

Given my madcap sense of timelines and the fact that I am not bound by the traditional strictures of start-over periods like New Years and Back to School, I'm giving myself a November rebooting of epic proportions. Not really, though. But lately I have been reading all manner of crap, from Martha Stewart Living to cookbooks, instead of REAL BOOKS which are IMPORTANT for LITERACY. I have also been doing a lot of messing around, which is something that we do not usually do here in our nation's capital. So in the spirit of positive change, I give you...

November Resolutions for 2K6! (Tara, how scary is it that 2K6 is nearly done...remember when it was only 2K5? Where does our youth go?)

1. Find a better hobby than lying on the floor listening to You Never Give Me Your Money by the Beatles on repeat. Acknowledge that this is in fact the greatest song ever recorded, then move on.

2. Brush up my Shakespeare. Seriously, kids come in all the time asking for help and in spite of the fact that I took like a million drama classes in undergrad, all I can do is stand there and stick my finger in my nose and say "Sonnet? Whaaa?" I feel like I squandered a whole lot of knowledge there. BBC DVD production of King Lear, here I come!

3. Start living my life like the protagonist of The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank, arguably the best literary chicklit ("relationship novel") I have read in the last few years. She also wrote The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, which I adored when I read it a few years ago. Her style is dry and unbelievably funny, and she will totally make you feel like less of a singleton loser and give you an amazingly strong, self-deprecating heroine to emulate. Plus it takes place in New York City. The Wonder Spot follows Sophie from adolescence to her mid-30s and frames episodes of her life with her female friendships and her botched-up boyfriends, her bad apartments and weekend trips out of town, all anchored by her awesome brothers who are everything a brother should be--protective and funny and annoying and encouraging (just like mine). If you like family fiction or just a clever, thoughtful story about an average life, you will love this book.

4. Sleep more. Aaaaand, I'm done.

3 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest dulcet dove,

It pleaseth me, in a manner not unlike that of sensing the dew drops that kisseth my man-beard at the rebirth of dawn's golden orb, that thee desireth to learn of the Bard's titillating tales and sweet stuttered sonnets. Thee shall be rewarded for such wholesome learn-ed toil with praise from ye fellow knowledge wardens and with it shall ye be graced with the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome.

With fullest love and amourous winks,

Puck Laertes III

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I was going to say you should come to the Big Smoke this weekend and see my brilliance in Hamlet.

http://www.harthousetheatre.ca/html/06-07%20Season/hamlet.html

Hooray!

Love,
Susan

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, canada goose outlet, karen millen, canada goose, replica watches, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, vans, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, barbour, bottes ugg, ugg pas cher, doudoune canada goose, links of london, moncler, ray ban, louis vuitton, coach outlet, converse outlet, moncler, montre pas cher, sac louis vuitton pas cher, hollister, moncler, lancel, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, hollister, moncler outlet, canada goose, doke gabbana outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler, gucci, ugg boots uk, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, converse, swarovski, wedding dresses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home