The View from Saturday

A heart full of love and a bookshelf full of hope and some books.

Friday, December 01, 2006

East Side West Side: CAGE MATCH.

Dear Ottawa,

Why are you acting so messed up towards me? Is it something I said? My constant grousing that Vancouver is a way more hospitable place (well, maybe not during the last few weeks, but STILL)? Is that why I can't hear myself over the ice pellets pounding on the roof? Can I make it up to you or whatever?

How about if I tell you how much I love Ontario writers? Alice Munro? KILLER. Though I just couldn't get into her newest book, The View from Castle Rock. The general consensus seems to be that the first section is pretty dense, and I'm sorry, but if I don't love something within 50 pages, I move on. But I still remember reading Progress of Love when I was about 13 and pretty much losing it over her insight, her plainly descriptive language, the way she sees into the hearts of her characters in a way that makes you re-evaluate your life and your relationships through the reflections of these made-up people.

I've cheated on you, Ontario. I admit it. I got caught up in the granola-infused authors of the West Coast, and I'm sorry. But seriously, man, check them out. Carol Windley's amazing book Breathing Under Water and her new short story collection Home Schooling are addictive. She has this knack for the slightly supernatural, for sticking creepy ghosts and imaginary children in backyard corners and under the ocean, this way of describing the below-surface details of life on Vancouver Island that pull you right in. She juxtaposes her characters' somewhat depressing daily lives with the humbling, terrifying beauty of the mountains and the ocean and that green green landscape that's almost too much to handle.

It's a coastal cage match of epic proportions, I know. I don't know whose side I'm really on. The fact that Brian Doyle lives right here in Ottawa might be the tie-breaker; I was mildly obsessed with Angel Square and Up to Low as a kid, his dryly witty poetic language and his funny-sad stories. There's a tenderness in Doyle's writing that's all the more pronounced because it's found amid such weird, hilarious metaphors. I read Mary Ann Alice last year when I knew I was moving to Ottawa, and his description of the Ottawa Valley made me feel less sad to be leaving the mountains behind. Not to mention the way he captures the raw vulnerability of a teenage girl; Mary Ann Alice's voice is so earnest it almost embarrasses you to read it. In a good way.

There's beauty wherever you plant your roots in this vast country of ours. Except right now, in the parking lot of the Library of the Future, where my poor little car is slowly turning into an ice block. At least we can drink the tap water.

8 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Cait, I am thinking after reading this entry that I might suggest a blog topic for you to tackle. Your Top 5 Canadian books of ALL TIME. Is that passe? You see, dear friend, I have neglected not only Ontario's finest literateurs but most Canadian masters of verse. I need you to shake some great Northern sense into me before I move back to Scotland where we marinate our books in whiskey and recite poetry only before eating haggis.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger caitlin said...

My dear Hutch--CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. Though it may take me awhile and I may piss off every english prof I ever had. SO BE IT, I shall not be moved!

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know what was deleted!! tell me... was it profanity?? someone you hate?? tell me!!

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh.....a 'player-hater' as the kids say....dish up cait, who's the heckler?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger caitlin said...

yep here's the awful truth. I'm being stalked. online. by the kids who call me "whitey" here at the 'brar. PROBABLY NOT THOUGH. it was spam that was deleted. horrible, horrible spam.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

lacoste pas cher, nike air max, vans pas cher, replica handbags, mulberry, michael kors, true religion jeans, air jordan pas cher, north face, air max, ralph lauren uk, oakley pas cher, coach outlet, north face, louboutin pas cher, tn pas cher, sac guess, michael kors, coach purses, nike roshe run, hogan, coach outlet, nike free run uk, sac longchamp, hermes, ray ban pas cher, hollister pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike free, vanessa bruno, timberland, nike air max, michael kors, ray ban uk, lululemon, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, hollister, nike blazer, michael kors, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, true religion jeans, new balance pas cher, air force, converse pas cher, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch, true religion jeans

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, canada goose outlet, karen millen, canada goose, replica watches, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, vans, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, moncler, canada goose, barbour, bottes ugg, ugg pas cher, doudoune canada goose, links of london, moncler, ray ban, louis vuitton, coach outlet, converse outlet, moncler, montre pas cher, sac louis vuitton pas cher, hollister, moncler, lancel, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, hollister, moncler outlet, canada goose, doke gabbana outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler, gucci, ugg boots uk, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, converse, swarovski, wedding dresses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home